Skip to main content


Inns and Public Houses references explanation

  Inns & Public Houses Most facts have been obtained from Trade directories but not all establishments in the old Morley Borough were entered in those publications and this list is intended only as a guide for more detailed studies Key F First observed entry in a Trade Directory L Last observed entry in a Trade Directory Kelly 1897 Kelly’s 1897 Trade Directory Pigot 1841 Pigot’s 1841 Trade Directory Robinson 1905 Robinson’s 1905 Trade Directory White 1853 White’s 1853 Trade Directory Baines 1822 Baines’ 1822 Trade Directory Baines 1830 Baines’ 1830 Trade Directory P.O 1861 Post Office directory 1861 P.O. 1877 Post Office directory 1877 Yearbook 29 Morley Local History Society Yearbook No 29 R.Dennis 'History on Your Doorstep W. Smith 1896 Morley Ancient and Modern by William Smith published 1896 W. Smith 1898 The public Houses of Morley – lecture by Wm Smith in Troy Hill School. Morley Observer December 16 1898.  A Morley Community Archives booklet of this lecture is available
Recent posts

Old Angel Inn

  Photo to follow Name Old Angel Inn Address 5 Bruntcliffe Road Built Opened 18th Century Closed 01/07/29 Demolished Yes, site now residential Notes D.Atkinson: Named on 1854 6” OS map where specifically called Old Angel Inn. Directory refs 1822. Licensees 1905 Mary Helliwell, 1853 Thomas Helliwell. A salutation Inn with signs of Virgin Mary, Angel & scroll. The legend “Ave Maria” appeared before the Reformation. Built on land given by the Beeston’s in 1226. Closed in a very dilapidated condition on 1 July 1929. Was on opposite side of Bruntcliffe Lane to the current Angel site
  Name Shoulder of Mutton Address Howdenclough Road LS27 0LR Built Believed to be in existence around 1820 if not earlier. Closed Yes December 2017 Demolished Yes January 2021 Notes F: Pigot 1841. Named on the 1854 6” O.S map. Licensees 1853 – M Middlebrook, 1905 George R Cockerill. Brewery owner 1970 – John Smith’s. New residential properties occupy the site

Angel Inn

Name Angel Address Bruntcliffe Road Morley LS27 0LY Built 1929 Demolished No Notes D.Atkinson: First licence was granted on 1st July 1929 to Charles Coates. Mrs. Louise Conyers was the landlady in 1936. All her ladies who served beer wore evening dress. She later went to a much smaller pub in Dewsbury. Brewery owner 1970 Tetley’s. The name 'The Angel has disappeared from the building. Now known as"Toby Carvery Morley"